[scribus] tables - grouping and ungrouping
Joseph Hogan
2018-07-03 13:37:27 UTC
Hello,

I figured out the ungrouping, which allows me to add text and color.

I also learned how to make the top row of cells taller, as this is where
the headings will be for the information.

But, for some reason, I can not put this newly resized row (I was able
to trick the individual sells of the top row back in to a group) back
with the rest of the table.

But, I did resize the bottom row slightly, and it can still be regrouped
into the table.

Thanks for any ways to put them all back in a group.

Joseph

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
John Rivers
2018-07-03 14:42:25 UTC
Hi Joseph,

I spent ages trying to figure out tables, as I was used to the InDesign ways of formatting.

So to format the cells, you need to ungroup them to make the changes you need, then select the cells / rows / columns either by shift +click each item or drag the mouse around the items to select then re-group or group then again - should be in the same menu as Ungroup.

John

http://forums.scribus.net
ale rimoldi
2018-07-04 08:09:56 UTC
hi jospeh and john
Post by John Rivers
I spent ages trying to figure out tables, as I was used to the
InDesign ways of formatting.
So to format the cells, you need to ungroup them to make the changes
you need, then select the cells / rows / columns either by shift
+click each item or drag the mouse around the items to select then
re-group or group then again - should be in the same menu as Ungroup.
you don't need to ungroup the table to edit the content of the cells.

depending on the version, just double click on the cell or
alt-double-click on it.

in many cases, it's better to avoid using the tables tool in scribus.
as you already found out, it needs more work to be a ready for
production.
as an alternative you can use tabulators or import the table as a
vector drawing / bitmap.

ciao
a.l.e

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Joseph Hogan
2018-07-04 19:48:47 UTC
Thanks for everys feedback.

2 points:

1 - what is a tabulator and how do we use them.  Where are they?

2 - How does one make and export a table from LIbre Office Calc?

Thanks
Post by ale rimoldi
hi jospeh and john
http://
John Jason Jordan
2018-07-04 20:21:46 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:48:47 -0400
Post by Joseph Hogan
1 - what is a tabulator and how do we use them.  Where are they?
In Scribus-land there are 'tabulators' which, in the rest of the world
are called 'tabs.'
Post by Joseph Hogan
2 - How does one make and export a table from LIbre Office Calc?
I practically never use Calc to make tables. You can do most simple
calculations in a table in Writer, which offers massively more options
for text formatting. It is also easier to export from Writer.

___
http://forum
Gregory Pittman
2018-07-04 22:29:22 UTC
Post by John Jason Jordan
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:48:47 -0400
Post by Joseph Hogan
1 - what is a tabulator and how do we use them.  Where are they?
In Scribus-land there are 'tabulators' which, in the rest of the world
are called 'tabs.'
For this kind of situation, you would be using tabs as part of a
Paragraph Style. This way, you can apply the style, then edit it as
needed later, as far as placement and type of tab (Left, Right, or Center).

As far as Calc, I agree with a.l.e that I'm also not a fan of
spreadsheet programs when it comes to formatting the output. You will
have much more intuitive sense of the font, layout, etc. with Writer. At
the end, you File > Export as PDF. On the other hand, if you were going
to import CSV data into Scribus, then I think Calc is the better way,
saving as CSV.

Greg

___
htt
ale rimoldi
2018-07-05 08:25:04 UTC
hi
Post by John Jason Jordan
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:48:47 -0400
Post by Joseph Hogan
1 - what is a tabulator and how do we use them.  Where are they?
In Scribus-land there are 'tabulators' which, in the rest of the world
are called 'tabs.'
????

i hope that you aware that tabs is the short form for tabulators...

i checked in libreoffice and ms office: indeed, both use the shorter
term.

i've opened a ticket for it:
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15368

if somebody wants to work on this change, feel free to provide a patch
: - )

ciao
a.l.e

___
http
Gregory Pittman
2018-07-05 13:23:42 UTC
Post by ale rimoldi
hi
Post by John Jason Jordan
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:48:47 -0400
Post by Joseph Hogan
1 - what is a tabulator and how do we use them.  Where are they?
In Scribus-land there are 'tabulators' which, in the rest of the world
are called 'tabs.'
????
i hope that you aware that tabs is the short form for tabulators...
i checked in libreoffice and ms office: indeed, both use the shorter
term.
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15368
if somebody wants to work on this change, feel free to provide a patch
: - )
I normally don't mess with the code, but this was such a minor change
(in smpstylewidget.ui) that I made the change and committed. If the devs
don't like it, it can be easily switched back - it's just a string.

I'll wait to see if there are objections before closing the bug (and
updating the manual).

Greg

___

JLuc
2018-07-03 16:38:28 UTC
Post by Joseph Hogan
I figured out the ungrouping, which allows me to add text and color.
I also learned how to make the top row of cells taller, as this is where the headings will be for the information.
The easyest way to have nice tables in scribus
is to create them with LibreOffice's Calc or Writer, export them to PDF
and import the table's PDF in scribus.

Truely,
JLuc

___