[Scribus] For non-x86 based Linux users
unknown
2003-08-24 21:19:59 UTC

I'm playing with the font system so that the problem with people not
having fonts picked up can be solved.

On x86 linux, this is dead simple to do. However, as I don't use
anything else, could those using Solaris, BSD, PPC and OSX tell me what
they get when they run (from a terminal window)

xset q

(partway down will be a line which says Font Path at the start).

This will be a lovely way to get around the current problems if it will
work on all machines.

TTFN

Paul
--
One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them
And through security holes, blind them...
unknown
2003-08-25 11:24:26 UTC
Post by unknown
I'm playing with the font system so that the problem with people not
having fonts picked up can be solved.
On x86 linux, this is dead simple to do. However, as I don't use
anything else, could those using Solaris, BSD, PPC and OSX tell me what
they get when they run (from a terminal window)
xset q
Paul,

Please stay tuned for related info of Solaris 9 x86 (with native Sun
Openwin X11 server) which I'll start up at home this evening. For now
here's FreeBSD.

FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE ------------------------------------------------
XFree86 version 4.2.0 X11 server and libraries

Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000000
auto repeat delay: 660 repeat rate: 25
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fa9fffffffdff5ff
ffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 20/10 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 1200 Suspend: 1800 Off: 2400
DPMS is Disabled
Font cache:
hi-mark (KB): 1024 low-mark (KB): 768 balance (%): 70
<snip>

Perfect.

It looks like the only target which doesn't have xset is OSX :-(

That said, /etc/X11/XftConfig does have a lot of font information in it.

One thing I have been playing with is a new command line arguement

scribus --fonts <args>

This way, you can put the fonts where you like and they will be
referenced via the .scribusrc file - possibly a very flexible way of
adding fonts. That said, the idea of xset q is that this would not be
required.

Lots of work still to be done...

TTFN

Paul
unknown
2003-08-25 12:20:18 UTC
Post by unknown
One thing I have been playing with is a new command line arguement
scribus --fonts <args>
This way, you can put the fonts where you like and they will be
referenced via the .scribusrc file - possibly a very flexible way of
adding fonts. That said, the idea of xset q is that this would not be
required.
This is very good, because for whatever reason, xset and the underlying
library methods do not always give the correct answer. I assume that you
mean that a user can advise scribus with the --fonts parameter once, and
then the font path or values will be written to .scribus. Then --fonts won't
need to be used again on the command line.

Regards,
Michael
This way, you can put the fonts where you like and they will be
referenced via the .scribusrc file - possibly a very flexible way of
adding fonts. That said, the idea of xset q is that this would not be
required.
This is very good, because for whatever reason, xset and the underlying
library methods do not always give the correct answer. I assume that you
mean that a user can advise scribus with the --fonts parameter once, and
then the font path or values will be written to .scribus. Then --fonts won't
need to be used again on the command line.
As it stands, it won't be playing with the .scribusrc file. There are a
couple of good reasons for this. It will create it's own .scribusfont
file. This also means that should a directory vanish, the .scribusfont
can be removed.

I've initially scripted (i.e. not coded) the following new parameters

/* scribus-font-new.cpp
PFJ
August 2003
For scribus 1.1, may not work properly in 1.0.1

The following are to be added.

--font <args>
where <args> are a list of directories relative to / and comma
separated containing fonts.
--font-check
checks the .scribusfonts file for the existance of the font
directories. Exits once run. Gives any directories not found
and writes a temp file with these in
--font-rebuild
only works after font-check has been issued. Rebuilds the font
list by removing the font directories found missing by
font-check.

both font-check and -rebuild will not result in scribus running.
/*

Nothing like open source to get what you want ;-p

TTFN

Paul
unknown
2003-08-25 14:52:00 UTC
Paul wrote:
[]
Post by unknown
It looks like the only target which doesn't have xset is OSX :-(
Wait a moment, if X11 is installed on OSX, xset does exist, of course
.
If you are talking about the native Qt/Mac version of Scribus, then you
are right, xset doesn't exist, but font management is only one of
several things that don't yet work, AFAICT.

Here is the Fontpath part of `xset -q` on Mac OSX 10.2.6 with X11 and a
couple of Fink font packages installed:

Font Path:

/sw/lib/X11/fonts/msttf/,/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/,/sw/lib/X11/fonts/ghostscript/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

The Fink packages in question are (besides scribus-1.0.1, of course):

% fink list -i font
Information about 2931 packages read in 2 seconds.

i applesystemfonts 1.0-4 Make Apple system fonts
available to X11R6
i ghostscript-fonts 6.0-3 Standard fonts for Ghostscript
i msttcorefonts 1.2-2 Microsoft's TrueType core
fonts for the web
i ttfmkfontdir 1.0-2 Make fonts.dir for TrueType
Fonts
i x-ghostscript-fonts 20020206-3 Allows ghostscript fonts to
be used within X-windows
i xfontpath 0.4-2 X font path manager for fink

BTW, the python scripting plugin is working on OSX, too (with the
python2.2 package from Fink).
Martin
unknown
2003-08-26 16:29:32 UTC
Post by unknown
On x86 linux, this is dead simple to do. However, as I don't use
anything else, could those using Solaris, BSD, PPC and OSX tell me what
they get when they run (from a terminal window)
xset q
Okay, here's Solaris 9 x86 with the native Sun X11 server (no XFree86).

Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000001
auto repeating keys: 00f8fffffffffefe
fe1fc8fbff0d0000
8001000000000000
0000000000000000
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 1/1 threshold: 5
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 0
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 65535
Font Path:
/home/mschloh/.gnome2/share/cursor-fonts,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/sun/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/home/mschloh/.gnome2/share/fonts
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
Display is not capable of DPMS
Excellent. It looks like xset will be one of the easiest ways of
obtaining the correct font paths :-)

Just for the record, the new font command line parameters are now in the
1.1.0 version as is the xset code. Better than that is that it works!
Next, getting the scfonts***.cpp files into something which can actually
be understood!

TTFN

Paul
unknown
2003-08-26 22:30:48 UTC
Post by unknown
Hi,
Excellent. It looks like xset will be one of the easiest ways of
obtaining the correct font paths :-)
Just for the record, the new font command line parameters are now in the
1.1.0 version as is the xset code. Better than that is that it works!
Next, getting the scfonts***.cpp files into something which can actually
be understood!
TTFN
Paul
I checked yesterday and the the xset code will work - I think - as well
with KDE-Cygwin, which uses the usual Xfree86 font services. freetypes
and Xft have been ported as well to cygwin.
unknown
2003-08-26 22:54:09 UTC
Post by unknown
I checked yesterday and the the xset code will work - I think - as well
with KDE-Cygwin, which uses the usual Xfree86 font services. freetypes
and Xft have been ported as well to cygwin.
The only problem comes if the words "Font Path:" are not outputted by
xset in English.

Can anyone not in an English speaking area or with a machine set to a
english locale setting, run xset q and tell me what it says for Font
just need to parse it though the Qt translator...

TTFN

Paul
unknown
2003-08-26 23:24:20 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
I checked yesterday and the the xset code will work - I think - as well
with KDE-Cygwin, which uses the usual Xfree86 font services. freetypes
and Xft have been ported as well to cygwin.
The only problem comes if the words "Font Path:" are not outputted by
xset in English.
Can anyone not in an English speaking area or with a machine set to a
english locale setting, run xset q and tell me what it says for Font
just need to parse it though the Qt translator...
it's still english for me, though I've set everything to German here. It
seems that xset doesn't display localized output.
If it did, though, you could call
LANG=C LC_ALL=C xset -q
though, that should always give you the same output for all langauge
environment settings. I'm doing that for a script that parses some
output of rpm and does does work quite nice...

Greetings,

Robert Kaiser
unknown
2003-08-27 10:42:06 UTC
Post by unknown
Hi,
Post by unknown
I checked yesterday and the the xset code will work - I think - as well
with KDE-Cygwin, which uses the usual Xfree86 font services. freetypes
and Xft have been ported as well to cygwin.
The only problem comes if the words "Font Path:" are not outputted by
xset in English.
In French it's not translated, neither. This is for xset 6.5 (according to
man-page).

Ineiti
--
------------------------------
Linus Gasser
------------------------------
unknown
2003-09-01 09:51:52 UTC
Post by unknown
On x86 linux, this is dead simple to do. However, as I don't use
anything else, could those using Solaris, BSD, PPC and OSX tell me what
they get when they run (from a terminal window)
xset q
Paul:

Here's MacOS X 10.2.6 w/ Apple X11 (beta 3)

Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000000
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffffffff7f
80ffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/