[scribus] A question about hyphenation
Ralf Mattes
2018-06-14 14:27:08 UTC
Dear list members,

I'm trying to use hyphenation in Scribus, but whenever I select 'Extras > Hyphenate Text' or import
text into a text frame I get prompted for (almost) every single word in the text. Is this intended or am
I doing something wrong? I'd expect to have hypehnation inserted at posible places without prompting
(and all suggested hyphenations are correct).

Thanks RalfD

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-06-14 17:27:06 UTC
Post by Ralf Mattes
Dear list members,
I'm trying to use hyphenation in Scribus, but whenever I select 'Extras > Hyphenate Text' or import
text into a text frame I get prompted for (almost) every single word in the text. Is this intended or am
I doing something wrong? I'd expect to have hypehnation inserted at posible places without prompting
(and all suggested hyphenations are correct).
Hi Ralf,

Perhaps in File > Preferences > Hyphenator you have Hyphenation
Suggestions checked? If so, uncheck that. For it to apply to an existing
document, you may need to go to File > Document Settings > Hyphenator.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Ralf Mattes
2018-06-14 18:57:13 UTC
Post by Gregory Pittman
Perhaps in File > Preferences > Hyphenator you have Hyphenation
Suggestions checked? If so, uncheck that. For it to apply to an existing
document, you may need to go to File > Document Settings > Hyphenator.
I tried both settings, but deselecting 'Hyphenation Suggestions' doesn't change anything
(did that in both the prefecences and the document settings).

Cheers, RalfD

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-06-14 19:57:43 UTC
Post by Ralf Mattes
Post by Gregory Pittman
Perhaps in File > Preferences > Hyphenator you have Hyphenation
Suggestions checked? If so, uncheck that. For it to apply to an existing
document, you may need to go to File > Document Settings > Hyphenator.
I tried both settings, but deselecting 'Hyphenation Suggestions' doesn't change anything
(did that in both the prefecences and the document settings).
Ok, I think I have this figured out.
If you create a document with Hyphenator Suggestions checked, then you
will continue to get the suggestions even if you uncheck Suggestions in
Preferences or Document Setup.

BUT, there is a solution:

Save the document. Close Scribus (with the Suggestions unchecked), then
start Scribus again, and open your document. Now you should see this
suggestion behavior gone.

I think what this means is that the hyphenation suggestions is
fortunately not a feature of the document, but a state that Scribus is
in when it starts.

What this also means is that if Scribus started with Suggestions
unchecked, it won't matter if you check it either in Preferences or
Document Setup, until you stop and restart Scribus again, or start a new
document, and will apply only to that new document.

I suppose it's a bug, although at least one can work with this.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Ralf Mattes
2018-06-14 20:40:30 UTC
Post by Gregory Pittman
Save the document. Close Scribus (with the Suggestions unchecked), then
start Scribus again, and open your document. Now you should see this
suggestion behavior gone.
Thank's - this worked. I guess that's a tolerable workarround.
Post by Gregory Pittman
I think what this means is that the hyphenation suggestions is
fortunately not a feature of the document, but a state that Scribus is
in when it starts.
What this also means is that if Scribus started with Suggestions
unchecked, it won't matter if you check it either in Preferences or
Document Setup, until you stop and restart Scribus again, or start a new
document, and will apply only to that new document.
I suppose it's a bug, although at least one can work with this.
Yes, I'd consider this a bug - a change in settings should have an imediate
affect without needing a restart.

Thank's for the help

RalfD
Post by Gregory Pittman