[scribus] Scribus 1.5.4 Released
Christoph Schäfer
2018-04-28 14:57:10 UTC
The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of the stable development version 1.5.4, which is in many ways a new milestone on our way to the next officially stable release 1.6.0.

Most important changes

- Color precision for fill colors has been expanded to 64 bit floating point.

- Scribus can now handle color palettes in the new ISO standard CxF3 (See: https://www.xrite.com/de/page/cxf-color-exchange-format). CxF3 files cannot only store palettes in different color models (e.g., RGB, CMYK, LAB) and output intents, but also allow for storing spectral colors, which enables even greater colour precision. Scribus is the first DTP software that supports this demanding standard.

- Existing import filters have been upgraded to support the LAB color model (where applicable).

- The Barcode plug-in has been updated and offers new features.

- Many bugs regarding fringe uses have been fixed in the PDF library, both for print PDFs and PDF forms.

- Several new commands have been added to the scripting engine, so as to make the document creation via scripts easier and more versatile.

- Thanks to the work of the Document Liberation Project and particularly David Tardon, experimental import filters for ZonerDraw vector drawings (versions 4 and 5) and QuarkXPress documents (versions 3 and 4) have been added.

- Many potential stability and security issues revealed by Coverity scans have been fixed.

The complete changelog is available here: https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=99

Primary Download Locations

- Installation packages for Windows, Mac OS X and the source code are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.4/

- OpenSUSE, SLED, and SLES RPMs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs

-Packaging for other Linux distributions, *BSD, Solaris and OpenIndiana is beyond our influence. We recommend updating the respective repository data on a regular basis.

- Windows Portable App: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable#test

Download Verification

Description File Name Sha256sum Sha1sum

Source scribus-1.5.4.tar.xz 6480925250b2bb07028e2f378c02b67fe3e33206743671e03c07c701cd05da03 40a8819df4572a3fb752ecda38520a792f69c54f

Source scribus-1.5.4.7z c756037464cfc1f760ddad0cce5cc323d4091e65cd119dd1d69ad16be32b7d6 414ee31a57c9789d890384f71f28f5641c2c1f79

OS X 10.10 or higher, Intel x64 scribus-1.5.4.dmg 6f31b0b9bf27c952d820188343e2be73ab990be772e34551b030d9c04fa4f5b8 2c9d71dc7b2e589ad27b7817c755d64f441a72e4

Windows 32/64 Bit scribus-1.5.4-windows.exe c8710ee2591f0e00b9c6506671c401ce2c54541ded55c043f74b2e622c07f2dd 80dc3701b35ae8ec99a1870c7d4228a72cb02755

Windows 64 Bit scribus-1.5.4-windows-x64.exe 2d11a7c04f2b58436541269e21227ce8676b62e908cc2b14987a865ca6d65170 64fd2cd02e0f6b99e208252cddd21d228bc479fb

Linux 64 bit AppImage scribus-1.5.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage 9c8bb1c491b5219093d98663e4810df1e8b317e23f349eebb5c1c2213a210f79 2bfd9a9486f0a8a8ec2c88bcc91029c6c1a265a5

The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net and Modirum for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.

We are grateful to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie for sponsoring.

The Scribus Team is also honored to have Resene Colours (New Zealand), dtp studio Oldenburg (Germany), Scientific Illustration Services Corp. (USA), the Newspaper Association of America (USA), Software Consulting Services (USA), freieFarbe e.V. (Germany), bauwerk Kommunikationsdesign (Germany) as Special Supporters and donors of color palettes and other content since the 1.4.x release, just like we are grateful to the owner of Vector Portal for the permission to distribute some of his work as Scribus Templates.

Porting Scribus to OS/2 and eComStation is being supported by Serenity Systems (USA).

Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this release.

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Olivier Berten
2018-04-28 17:38:04 UTC
Post by Christoph Schäfer
https://www.xrite.com/de/page/cxf-color-exchange-format). CxF3 files
cannot only store palettes in different color models (e.g., RGB, CMYK, LAB)
and output intents, but also allow for storing spectral colors, which
enables even greater colour precision. Scribus is the first DTP software
that supports this demanding standard.
Can Scribus actually deal with spectral data or is it just another way to
distribute RGB, CMYK or LAB palettes?

Olivier
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums
ZASKE Martin
2018-04-30 11:42:33 UTC
Yes, do be pleased!

It is Monday where I am and I am downloading while I type this. 358
downloads over the first week-end and many might not even have seen the
announcement yet.

I cannot speak for all users, but I want to say thank you to the
developers and also to "translators, testers and contributors who helped
(us) with this release" as reminded by Christoph: Thank you guys!!!

Scribus has become such a great tool over the past few years. And so far
every new version has been truly better than the previous one. That is
not a given; some people call a previous version of Adobe Acrobat "the
last good one". So compliments for adding good features.

Just had some t-shirts printed end of last week. A rushed job to get the
artwork to the new workshop because of some non-technical deadline. I
was confident that Scribus can do separations, but had to google to find
where and how: The feature is not an option with the normal PDF-exports
which we use for 99% of our output. It is an option under the "normal"
print menu-entry, which we rarely use. Just saying: even being under
stress, I prepared the logo and text in Scribus before I even had found
how to make separations. I boldly assumed that such a fundamental
feature just HAD to be in Scribus - and I was right.

greetings and thanks Christoph for doing an awesome job with many PR
aspects of making Scribus known and appreciated,

Martin
http:/
niilos
2018-05-02 12:43:08 UTC
Hello !

I’m new on this mailing list but I’m spreading Scribus as an InDesign
alternative for several years now.
I am writing a little booklet each summer with about 10 people and I am
using Scribus to print it. We are writing the articles on a custom web
app. It would be great if we could tell scribus to fetch the articles
content online ! Our web app have a REST API to access the articles.
Is there a Scribus plugin that can get some content online ?

Thanks you for your work !
Niilos
Post by niilos
Hello !
I’m new on this mailing list but I’m spreading Scribus as an InDesign
alternative for several years now.
I am writing a little booklet each summer with about 10 people and I am
using Scribus to print it. We are writing the articles on a custom web
app. It would be great if we could tell scribus to fetch the articles
content online ! Our web app have a REST API to access the articles.
Is there a Scribus plugin that can get some content online ?
Hi Niilos,

I recently was working on a script, part of which included getting an
image from the web. It was challenging. Here is what ended up working:

imagefr = scribus.createImage(175, 14, 20, 7)
logo =
cStringIO.StringIO(urllib.urlopen("Loading Image...").read())
img = Image.open(logo)
img.save('/tmp/savedimage.jpg')
scribus.loadImage('/tmp/savedimage.jpg', imagefr)
scribus.setScaleImageToFrame(1,1,imagefr)

This required a statement at the beginning:

import PIL, urllib, cStringIO

As written above, it worked on Linux. To make it work on Windows, you
have to locate the appropriate temporary directory where you are allowed
to save the file to. I couldn't figure out a way to make it work without
the PIL (Python Imaging Library).

If you're trying to get text content, I don't know where to start.

Greg

___
htt
ale rimoldi
2018-05-02 14:41:31 UTC
hi niilos
Post by niilos
I’m new on this mailing list but I’m spreading Scribus as an InDesign
alternative for several years now.
I am writing a little booklet each summer with about 10 people and I
am using Scribus to print it. We are writing the articles on a custom
web app. It would be great if we could tell scribus to fetch the
articles content online ! Our web app have a REST API to access the
articles. Is there a Scribus plugin that can get some content online ?
this should be doable.
with python scripts, as greg already wrote.

sadly, i don't know if the loading of html from a file is exposed to the
scripter, but it should not be that hard to add if it's not there.

i can help you to get the project going. for money or for free
depending on the characteristics of your project.

ciao
a.l.e

___
http://wi
Daniel
2018-05-02 21:19:43 UTC
Hey there,

I quickly hacked together a scibus script that loads the contents of a
url which is saved as text in a text box and then sets the text to the
respective content.

(it is just for text for now)

https://github.com/dadosch/scribus_script_get_external_text

There has to be done very much to improve it and also format everything
right.

This is also related to this thread
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2018-March/054999.html and
this bug https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791

(sorry niilos, the previous message was intented to be to the list,
damn, I clicked the wrong button)

Greetings,

Daniel
Post by ale rimoldi
hi niilos
htt
ale rimoldi
2018-05-03 07:22:28 UTC
hi daniel
Post by Daniel
I quickly hacked together a scibus script that loads the contents of a
url which is saved as text in a text box and then sets the text to the
respective content.
(it is just for text for now)
https://github.com/dadosch/scribus_script_get_external_text
yes loading from a text file is rather trivial.

i remember having created an external translation workflow for a comic
book in the past.

getting the formatting imported (and even more syncing the format) is
less trivial or -- depending on what you want to achieve -- needs hard
work on the scribus code.
Post by Daniel
This is also related to this thread
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2018-March/054999.html and
this bug https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791
if he wants to get html text those messages and tickets are not really
relevant.

if he wants to get the text from markdown, this might be possible at
the beginning of the summer.
i started the first step to get my plugin finalized and i plan to work
on them almost full time for the next month.
if people want to participate with code or money they're welcome!

the first step is to clean up the plugin API and propose it to the team
for inclusion in the trunk:

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-plugin-API

last week, i've presented the planned work in an email to this list

http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2018-April/055051.html

and have now started rewriting the code according to what is described
in there and what i've discussed with jean.

there will be code presented as soon as the applyStyle plugin

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-plugin-applyStyle

works with the new API.
(if somebody wants to see it earlier, i can find a way, of course!)

have fun
a.l.e

___
http://forums.scribus.net
ale rimoldi
2018-05-03 11:52:51 UTC
hi
Post by ale rimoldi
i started the first step to get my plugin finalized and i plan to work
on them almost full time for the next month.
if people want to participate with code or money they're welcome!
if people want to participate with project management or communication
or documetation skills they're also welcome!

ciao
a.l.e

___
http://forums.scribus.net
niilos
2018-05-03 19:28:08 UTC
Hello !

Thank you for all your responses ! I will explain more precisely what I’m
trying to do.
- I only want to get the text content from my API.
- It would be great to allow authentification to the API (not mandatory)
- I will create a text frame in scribus, select the style associated and
specify an URL to query the content from.
- I’d like to allow a "refresh". If the URL is replaced by the actual
content, it is lost and the content can’t be loaded again (after a
change for instance) !

I will learn to use the scribus python API. Would it be posible to set
a "source" attribute that contain the remote content URL ? Plus a script
that replace the content of all object that have a "source" attribute ?

I never used such API. If you think it is doable this way, I will try to
implement it !

Regards,
Niilos.
Post by Daniel
Hey there,
I quickly hacked together a scibus script that loads the contents of a
url which is saved as text in a text box and then sets the text to the
respective content.
(it is just for text for now)
https://github.com/dadosch/scribus_script_get_external_text
There has to be done very much to improve it and also format everything
right.
This is also related to this thread
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2018-March/054999.html and
this bug https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791
(sorry niilos, the previous message was intented to be to the list,
damn, I clicked the wrong button)
Greetings,
Daniel
Post by ale rimoldi
hi niilos
Post by niilos
[...]
Hey,

So I wrote my first python scribus script that is very similar to those
you sent to me ! I don’t know how to retrive the attributes of an object
(didn’t find the documentation). Is it possible ? If it is not I will
have to use the object’s name to store the URL !

Thanks !
Niilos
Post by Daniel
Hey there,
I quickly hacked together a scibus script that loads the contents of a
url which is saved as text in a text box and then sets the text to the
respective content.
(it is just for text for now)
https://github.com/dadosch/scribus_script_get_external_text
There has to be done very much to improve it and also format everything
right.
This is also related to this thread
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2018-March/054999.html and
this bug https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791
(sorry niilos, the previous message was intented to be to the list,
damn, I clicked the wrong button)
Greetings,
Daniel
Post by ale rimoldi
hi niilos
Post by niilos
[...]
hi nilos
Post by niilos
So I wrote my first python scribus script that is very similar to
those you sent to me ! I don’t know how to retrive the attributes of
an object (didn’t find the documentation). Is it possible ? If it is
not I will have to use the object’s name to store the URL !
i would probably tend to store the references in an external file
(json?)... it's probably easier to keep track of what you are doing...

ciao
a.l.e

___
http://forums.sc
niilos
2018-05-07 13:17:49 UTC
Thanks for your reply. I think an external file would be cleaner.
However, I will have to mantain a correspondance between URLs and scribus
objects name. It was the point of storing it in the object.

Best regards,
Niilos.
Post by ale rimoldi
hi nilos