[scribus] Cut and Stack imposition
Dan Cancro
2018-09-22 18:01:32 UTC
Hi Scribus group,

I would like to produce a small, portrait-oriented book using a
4-page-per-US-letter-sheet Cut and Stack imposition. I have a Macbook
Pro with OSX 10.13.6 and an HP P2055dn automatic duplexing laser
printer.

I am totally new to desktop publishing. Please let me know the
best/cheapest way to do that.

Imposition Types: http://www.montax-imposer.com/description/imposition-types

Thanks,
Dan

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-09-22 21:55:16 UTC
Post by Dan Cancro
Hi Scribus group,
I would like to produce a small, portrait-oriented book using a
4-page-per-US-letter-sheet Cut and Stack imposition. I have a Macbook
Pro with OSX 10.13.6 and an HP P2055dn automatic duplexing laser
printer.
I am totally new to desktop publishing. Please let me know the
best/cheapest way to do that.
Imposition Types: http://www.montax-imposer.com/description/imposition-types
Hi Dan,

It would be useful to know how many pages the book will have. What sort
of binding are you talking about? At some point of size, you will be
better off engaging a commercial printer, who will not only do the
binding, but imposition as well.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Peter Nermander
2018-09-23 06:50:16 UTC
Post by Dan Cancro
I would like to produce a small, portrait-oriented book using a
4-page-per-US-letter-sheet Cut and Stack imposition. I have a Macbook
Pro with OSX 10.13.6 and an HP P2055dn automatic duplexing laser
printer.
I am totally new to desktop publishing. Please let me know the
best/cheapest way to do that.
The Scribus wiki has a page on different tools that can be used for
impositioning.
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/PDF,_PostScript_and_Imposition_tools

For Cut and Stack it is really mostly the shuffling of pages that is the
hard part, the rest is more or less just N-up printing.

I think that likely the most powerful tool in this case is jpdfTweak, but
figuring out the config string for the shuffling may not be an easy task.
But make a testing PDF of a suitable number of pages with just huge page
numbers on them and use some trial and error to make it work.

Do you mean 4 pages per sheet or 4 pages per side? Because I think if you
mean 4 pages per sheet (i.e. 2 pages per side), it will just be a booklet
impositioning?

/Peter
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
David Burleigh
2018-09-23 08:54:30 UTC
Post by Dan Cancro
[...]
This handy little tool does "cut & stack" imposition:
http://www.noliturbare.com/pdf-tools/simple-imposition

It is a Windows program, but runs fine under Wine. I use it for booklets, 2-up, and cut & stack impositions.
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Dan Cancro
2018-09-23 13:47:37 UTC
Thanks everyone.

The book is to be 1/4 the size of a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper. So
a total of 8 impressions on each piece of paper.
It will have about 175-200 pages.
Since the content will be constantly changing, and batches will be
small, I don't think using a commercial printer makes the most sense.

I'll take a look at jpdfTweak and iTextSharp.

I found a pretty good interim solution. The Mac program "Preview"
offers a "Copies Per Page" option on the print dialog. If I set this
to "4" and check "Two-Sided" I can print four books at once. It would
be nice to be able to make them one at a time, but this is okay for
now.

___