[scribus] page | import messes up formatting
Gary Dale
2018-11-18 21:03:52 UTC
I'm running 1.4.7 on Debian/Buster (AMD64) and just tried to merge two
documents by importing the second at the end of the first. Unfortunately
this only partially worked as I lost some pretty significant amounts of
formatting in the imported section.

It looks like most of the imported text was treated as the default
paragraph style even though it is showing the correct styles when I Edit
Text. Overrides of the styles (usually where I tighten up the letter
spacing a little to fit some long names into a fixed-size box) are
usually lost but bold text was preserved.

For some reason, some styles seem to be always lost while others aren't.
A style I use for telephone numbers seems to have been ignored while one
I use for e-mail addresses is obeyed.

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
JLuc
2018-11-18 22:22:23 UTC
Styles are not well managed during page import or copy'n'paste across document
or when scrapbook copying when the copied element comes from another document that uses other style definitions
(and it's one of the most annoying bugs : cf https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11420 and
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11814 )
Generaly speaking, best is to avoid copying or importing any element or page from other document.
Depending on your workflow there might be some workarounds.

JLuc
http://wiki.scribus
Gary Dale
2018-11-18 23:04:27 UTC
Post by JLuc
Styles are not well managed during page import or copy'n'paste across document
or when scrapbook copying when the copied element comes from another
document that uses other style definitions
(and it's one of the most annoying bugs : cf
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11420 and
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11814 )
Generaly speaking, best is to avoid copying or importing any element
or page from other document.
Depending on your workflow there might be some workarounds.
JLuc
You would think this would be one of those things that "just work".
Unfortunately from the little I've seen of how Scribus works, importing
a page actually means touching every element on that page.

I don't really understand the thinking behind the design decisions. An
element's vertical position is taken from a spot before the start of the
first page and pages exist within a larger "canvas" for no good reason
so far as I can tell - except that the developers don't like negative
numbers.

To me, it would make much more sense if frames were positioned on a page
relative to its top left corner (being Eurocentric). Text and other
objects that exist within frames shouldn't be touched by imports. All
that should happen is that the frame's page number changes.

Styles should have a document attribute so that importing a page doesn't
involve changing the style name. In my case that would look like the
original default paragraph is still from the original document while the
second document's default paragraph style would still be from the second
document.

I'd like to see an easier method of reducing the number of styles as
well though - a script that automatically locates identical styles and
merges them down to one. Run that after an import to keep the document
simple.

However I suspect this would take a substantial rewrite of what I can
only assume is some very complicated code that currently has to change
every element when pages are added, removed, imported, resized, etc..
I'm not surprised that it doesn't work every time. :(

___
http://forums.scribus.net
ale rimoldi
2018-11-19 08:16:51 UTC
hi gary
Post by Gary Dale
I'm running 1.4.7 on Debian/Buster (AMD64) and just tried to merge
two documents by importing the second at the end of the first.
Unfortunately this only partially worked as I lost some pretty
significant amounts of formatting in the imported section.
It looks like most of the imported text was treated as the default
paragraph style even though it is showing the correct styles when I
Edit Text. Overrides of the styles (usually where I tighten up the
letter spacing a little to fit some long names into a fixed-size box)
are usually lost but bold text was preserved.
For some reason, some styles seem to be always lost while others
aren't. A style I use for telephone numbers seems to have been
ignored while one I use for e-mail addresses is obeyed.
after so many years, i've had the need to import a document into a
different one.

and i've created this ticket:

overwrite the default styles when importing styles from another file
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15473

if you identify other issues, please make a report for each of them and
link them to each other (there is a relationship section in the ticket).

ciao
a.l.e

___