[scribus] quetsion
H.P.J. Vos
2018-09-02 16:17:13 UTC

I started working with Scribus 1.5.3. Made one booklet already, which went fine. Except two things:

1. automatic page numbering
2. the spine

1. I tried many possibilities, but nothing worked. The booklet I made has only few pages, so I did it by hand, but that won't work with a thicker book. So please tell me step by step what to do. I have 50 pages, and the first six should get no number and on page 7 it should start with 7.
2. I couldn't find a handout how to make the spine in Scribus. I have a calculator to find out how thick the spine is, but what then? Another question is: the printer wants the cover in a separate pdf, but thus that mean that the spine should be a separate pdf or should it be part of the total of the cover? How do I make that?

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Herry Vos

www.fotoherryvos.nl
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Václav Šmilauer
2018-09-03 06:48:10 UTC
Post by H.P.J. Vos
2. I couldn't find a handout how to make the spine in Scribus. I
have a calculator to find out how thick the spine is, but what then?
Another question is: the printer wants the cover in a separate pdf,
but thus that mean that the spine should be a separate pdf or should
it be part of the total of the cover? How do I make that?
What I've seen was that they want cover as a single PDF. They should
send you draft of the cover, based on paper type, page number, binding
type and such, like this:

Create new document with one page of that size and bleeds, add guides
to the exact locations as indicated (object position or guide
coordinates in Scribus can take expressions, so you can put stuff like
5+66+107 there). The (0,0) coordinate is upper left of the content
(without bleed).
I was asked to put fold marks and spine middle axis as well, I had to
put those by hands as short lines in the bleed area.
I've done cover like that a few times and no problem - e.g. https://wi
ki.scribus.net/canvas/Success_stories_2017#Book_cover .
HTH, Vaclav
Post by H.P.J. Vos
Thanks a lot for your answers,
Herry Vos
www.fotoherryvos.nl------------- volgend deel ------------Een HTML-
bijlage is gescrubt...URL: <http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribu
s/attachments/20180902/c71d805b/attachment.html>___Scribus Mailing
//lists.scribus.net/mailman/listinfo/scribusSee also:http://wiki.scri
bus.nethttp://forums.scribus.net
1. I tried many possibilities, but nothing worked. The booklet I made has only few pages, so I did it by hand, but that won't work with a thicker book. So please tell me step by step what to do. I have 50 pages, and the first six should get no number and on page 7 it should start with 7.
Hi,

Here is a wiki page that explains page numbering to a minimal extent:

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Pagination

The basic thing to know is that the special page numbering character
(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P), when placed in a text frame, will display the page
number. One way of doing this for many pages is to place this frame on a
Master Page, then apply that Master Page as desired. Often users may
have left and right Master Pages to place the frame appropriately for
each. In case you want Page 1 to be something other than the literal
first page of your document, the wiki page shows how to do this.

For your 50-page book, bring up the dialog File > Document Setup >
Sections, and uncheck Shown for the default section, From should stay 1,
and To should be 10. Next click Add to add another section. Make sure
its Shown is checked, make From 11 and To 50, Start should be 1 (in
other words page 11 is labeled 1, page 12 is 2, and so on).

As others have mentioned, the special character for Page numbering shows
up as a red # in Story Editor, or when editing a Master Page, but shows
as the actual page number on the main canvas for the particular page you
are editing.

Greg

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net