[scribus] question about tables: changing properties.
Sergio Spina
2018-10-03 10:30:07 UTC
Hi.
Given a table abject with, say, 25 columns and 250 rows, how can I to
change ALL the lines of which the table is made of from, say, 1 pt to 0,25
pt?
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
ale rimoldi
2018-10-03 12:32:08 UTC
ciao sergio,

i would never create a table with 250 rows... for sure not in scribus

the only way to mass change formats in scribus (accross frames... and
table cells are frames) is to use styles.
you probably haven't yet, so you have an issue...

you can also write a script...

if you don't know how to write a python script, i can offer you to
write a script that applies a style to each cell in the table.

for it i would need a sample of your table in a .sla file (it can
contain dummy data) and i need to know the version of scribus you're
using...

ciao
a.l.e

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Sergio Spina
2018-10-03 14:29:12 UTC
Hi Ale.

1) Let me say as friendly as I can: I know my project better than you, and
I think that for my project scribus is good enough.

2) I have a lot of issues. But in the style manager, in the table styles
interface, there is nothing but two color commands. The same in the cell
style interface, as you can see in the image (scribus 1.5.4 28-04-2018
C--T-F-C1.14.6-64bit GhostScript 9.18).
[image: screen01.png]
3) Thank for you help offer; I know how to write a script with python, but
it is not the right tool for my problem.
Post by ale rimoldi
[...]
scribus does not offer the tools to manage well a table with 205 rows.
this seems rather objective to me.
one of the issues is the one that you mention in your original mail.
Post by Sergio Spina
2) I have a lot of issues. But in the style manager, in the table
styles interface, there is nothing but two color commands. The same
in the cell style interface, as you can see in the image (scribus
1.5.4 28-04-2018 C--T-F-C1.14.6-64bit GhostScript 9.18).
[image: screen01.png]
i was not talking about table styles, about character or paragraph
styles.
sorry for not having being more exact.

re-reading your original question, i see that you did not ask about
change the size of the text, but the thickness of the lines between the
cell.

in the past, i have made a few tries with the table cells decorations
and i came to the conclusion that it's not worth fighting with it and --
since in the meantime the tables have not improved -- i've given up
creating tables in scribus.
one of the issues was about reliably setting the lines of a cell or
group of cells.
i think it might be possible to achieve what you want, but you have
discover the exact sequence of manipulation to get there. it's
probably not trivial.

at the end of the day, there are alternatives for adding tabular text in
scribus. and i pick one of them, depending on the project at hand.
Post by Sergio Spina
3) Thank for you help offer; I know how to write a script with
python, but it is not the right tool for my problem.
it might or not, depending on what table/cells functions are available
in the scripter API.
I haven't checked.

in any way good luck with the table!

ciao
a.l..e

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Sergio Spina
2018-10-03 15:57:26 UTC
Thank for your answer,

Post by ale rimoldi
and i came to the conclusion that it's not worth fighting with it and --
since in the meantime the tables have not improved -- i've given up
creating tables in scribus.
one of the issues was about reliably setting the lines of a cell or
group of cells.
Maybe the better solution (the one that I've succesfully achieved) is the
good old crossing line objects.

ciao
Post by ale rimoldi
ciao sergio
http://forums.scribus.net
Peter Nermander
2018-10-04 13:08:40 UTC
Post by Sergio Spina
Maybe the better solution (the one that I've succesfully achieved) is the
good old crossing line objects.
From a typopgrahic point of view the better solution is likely to not use
lines between cells in a table. There are a lot of ways to format tables
without lines.
https://24ways.org/2007/typesetting-tables/
https://medium.com/mission-log/design-better-data-tables-430a30a00d8c

(But due to the limitations in Scribus these are as hard as using lines.
But they are easier to read.)

From a working point of view it is likely better to do the table in a
spreadsheet program and then paste it into Scribus in some way.
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Complex_tables_in_Scribus

Tables in Scribus are unfortunately not like the tables you are used to, a
table in Scribus is a group of individual text frames. This for example
means you cannot navigate the table with the TAB key, it is very hard to
select several cells at the same time, and as you have noticed there are no
really good way to apply formatting to a range of cells at the same time.

/Peter
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
ale rimoldi
2018-10-04 16:22:32 UTC
hi peter,

thanks for the links!

in my eyes, often tables can also be replaced by charts and
infographics.

no idea what applies to the specific case, since we have not seen the
document nor know his client's expectations.
for
example means you cannot navigate the table with the TAB key
only half correct: in 1.5 you can use alt-right to go to the next
cell...
it is
very hard to select several cells at the same time, and as you have
noticed there are no really good way to apply formatting to a range
of cells at the same time.
and that's a real pain...

ciao
a.l.e