[scribus] PLacing images, and making transaprent
Joseph Hogan
2018-09-17 21:26:34 UTC
Hello,

I have 2 images that I need to place on my document.

I have a banner on top of thepage.

I have a second image that I want to place partially on top of the
banner, and it has a lot of white on it.

Is there a way to make the white part of the image 100% transparent.

Thankjs

Joseph

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Owen
2018-09-17 21:59:05 UTC
If it is a jpg(jpeg) then it will not support transparency.

It needs to be a png.

Using gimp, you can remove the white with either Color to alpha or "Select by color" and delete the selection.

Then save a a png maintaining the transparency.

That's the theory, practice may be a bit different.

Owen
http://forums.scribus.net
Joseph Hogan
2018-09-18 16:26:40 UTC
Hello Owen,

Thanks for the ideas.

I must be honest, a part from resizing an image, I do no tuse GIMP too much.

Might you have a simple explanation to allow me to make the white part
of the image transparent?

Thanks

Joseph
http://forums.scribus.net
Owen
2018-09-19 06:17:54 UTC
Post by Joseph Hogan
I must be honest, a part from resizing an image, I do no tuse GIMP too much.
Might you have a simple explanation to allow me to make the white part
of the image transparent?
Here you go. Using Color to Alpha (there is also select by color technique)

1. Open gimp and make a b/w image like shown at Loading Image...

2. Make sure the image has an alpha channel. (Layer->Transparency_add alpha channel)

3. Right click on the black part and Color->Color to alpha, like shown at Loading Image...

4. The menu position for this may be different depending on your gimp version

5. In the Color to Alpha dialog box, select black as the color, the black will disappear, see Loading Image...

So you will probably have a few other "How To" issues, but hey, that's half the fun.

There are a few "Beginner" tutorials here, https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ Worth looking into.

And once you master that, there are a few other gotchas.

Owen

___

Christoph Schäfer
2018-09-17 22:06:33 UTC
Gesendet: Montag, 17. September 2018 um 23:26 Uhr
Betreff: [scribus] PLacing images, and making transaprent
Hello,
I have 2 images that I need to place on my document.
I have a banner on top of thepage.
I have a second image that I want to place partially on top of the
banner, and it has a lot of white on it.
Is there a way to make the white part of the image 100% transparent.
Hi Joseph,

Yes, there is a way, but not in Scribus, which provides only very basic image editing features. It's better to use an image editing programme like GIMP or Photoshop and save the image with added transparency as ORA or PSD, respectively, and then import it into a Scribus image frame.

HTH
Christoph

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Václav Šmilauer
2018-09-18 13:20:50 UTC
Post by Joseph Hogan
I have a second image that I want to place partially on top of the
banner, and it has a lot of white on it.
Is there a way to make the white part of the image 100% transparent.
You can use blending modes for that. Set the blending mode of the second
image to "darken" (instead of "normal") and the result will be the
darker of the image and whatever is behind it (the banner), it is in
Properties/Transparency/Blend mode of the second image. That will make
the white parts (where it is brighter than the background) effectively
transparent.

From my experience, though, beware that many (professional) printers
will fail to do the blending properly, probably having
old/non-conformant RIP, so always double-check the pre-print first.

HTH, Vaclav

___