[scribus] Small Caps in Scribus
Ralf Mattes
2018-07-08 19:34:20 UTC
Hello list,

can someone elicidate me on Scribus' handling of small capitals? I have an OTF font with "true" small capitals
and the character style property dialog offers me:
- Default Capitals
- Small Capitals
- Small Capitals from Capitals

What is what? Wich option do I need to select to get the small caps glyphs from the font?
Furthermore - if I import text in the XTG format, when I markup parts with the <H> tag (which
is supposed to switch on small caps) Scribus gives me what looks like scaled down glyphs.

TIA RalfD

___
Scribus Mailing List: ***@lists.scribus.net
Edit your options or unsubscribe:
See also:
http://wiki.scribus.net
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-07-08 22:31:26 UTC
Post by Ralf Mattes
Hello list,
can someone elicidate me on Scribus' handling of small capitals? I have an OTF font with "true" small capitals
- Default Capitals
- Small Capitals
- Small Capitals from Capitals
What is what? Wich option do I need to select to get the small caps glyphs from the font?
Furthermore - if I import text in the XTG format, when I markup parts with the <H> tag (which
is supposed to switch on small caps) Scribus gives me what looks like scaled down glyphs.
Hi Ralf,

As I play with this a bit using Montserrat font:

Default Capitals makes no use of small caps. You must manually
capitalize, and these are normal sized caps.

Small Capitals makes all of your lowercase letters small caps.
Manually-created caps are normal size, not small caps.

Small Capitals from Capitals uses small caps for any letters that you
capitalize manually. Lowercase letters remain lowercase.

Presumably you want the middle option.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Bert Driehuis
2018-07-08 22:34:55 UTC
Dear Ralf,
Post by Ralf Mattes
can someone elicidate me on Scribus' handling of small capitals? I have an OTF font with "true" small capitals
- Default Capitals
- Small Capitals
- Small Capitals from Capitals
What is what? Wich option do I need to select to get the small caps glyphs from the font?
Furthermore - if I import text in the XTG format, when I markup parts with the <H> tag (which
is supposed to switch on small caps) Scribus gives me what looks like scaled down glyphs.
The "Small Caps" feature in the story editor to the best of my
knowledge still uses "fake" small caps. If you have an OpenType font
with true Small Caps, I would expect that you can select those in the
Text Properties dialog under the Font Features settings group,
available since Scribus 1.5.3. I can't find an OpenType font with true
small caps quickly so I can't test, but I verified I can select Old
Style Numerals or Lining Numerals on fonts that support OpenType
Features.

Of course, some fonts come in packages with a seperate -SC version,
e.g. Alegreya Sans and Alegreya Sans SC, which in the pre-OpenType
times was the only way to get true small caps.

Support for OpenType features in Scribus is still young.

With kind regards,

Bert

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-07-08 22:47:31 UTC
Post by Bert Driehuis
Dear Ralf,
Post by Ralf Mattes
[...]
I think he's obviously talking about real small caps, since these
choices are only available (in Font Features sub tab of Text Properties)
for fonts with real small caps.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net
Gregory Pittman
2018-07-08 23:52:11 UTC
Post by Gregory Pittman
Post by Bert Driehuis
Dear Ralf,
Post by Ralf Mattes
[...]
I should have added they're also available in Character Style settings,
as Ralf suggests, in the Font Features tab. There you can also set the
position of the small caps.

Greg

___
http://forums.scribus.net